Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan and his Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party have been convicted in the 8-year-old foreign funding case. The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has given notice to Imran asking why all his accounts should not be frozen.
Imran and PTI had not given reply in this matter earlier also. According to the commission’s decision- PTI took donations from 34 foreign nationals and 351 companies. Gave information about only 8 general accounts, kept black money in 13 and hid them. Apart from this, there are 3 such accounts, whose thorough investigation is going on. Imran gave a false affidavit to the commission.
Pakistan’s newspaper ‘The News’ quoted the documents of the Election Commission as saying – Imran and PTI took a donation of about $ 14,000 from Indian-origin business woman Romita Shetty living in America.
why khan trapped
Imran and his party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) were accused of raising funds worth billions of rupees from many countries including India and did not inform the government, the Election Commission or the Finance Ministry.
The special thing is that till four months ago, the Chief Election Commissioner Sikandar Sultan, whom Imran did not tire of praising Raja, was now demanding his removal. All accounts of Khan and his party have been frozen. You can be banned from contesting elections. The party can also be banned. It is illegal in Pakistan to receive any political donation from abroad.
The case was filed by a member of Imran’s own party,
Imran had formed PTI in 1996. One of its founding members was Akbar S Babar. Babur was considered very honest and loyal to Imran. Babar had filed a complaint against Imran in the court against foreign funding in 2014. The court sent this case to the Election Commission for investigation.
Hearing on this case was going on since November 14, 2014, but every method was tried to save the beloved Imran of the army. When Imran’s government fell and he started threatening the army itself, the hearing of this case started on a daily basis. Imran got scared by this.
Remove the Chief Election Commissioner
Imran and his party PTI had appointed Chief Election Commissioner Sikandar Sultan Raja. As long as the verdicts kept coming in his favour, all was well. Now that the king became strict in the foreign funding case, Imran started demanding the removal of these Sultans by calling them corrupt and stupid. A case was also filed against Raja in the Islamabad High Court. The court did not consider it fit for hearing.
In 4 years, the Election Commission did 95 hearings of this case. State Bank of Pakistan gave 8 documents to the commission as evidence. According to ‘Dawn News’, the names of some Indians are also included in the list of donors. Surprisingly, the commission sought proof of innocence from Imran and PTI 16 times, but they could not provide it.
What is foreign funding case
- This case starts from 2010. At that time Imran Khan’s party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) was taking roots. Imran himself has said that at that time he did not have money to run the party and friends used to help.
- In 2014, Akbar S Babar, one of the founder members of PTI, alleged that PTI was getting a lot of black money from other countries and it should be investigated.
- According to the law of Pakistan, no political party can take funds from other countries for election or running the party in any manner.
- There was something black in the lentils. This is the reason why the Election Commission of Pakistan started hearing it. Surprisingly, when Imran came to power, he filed 9 petitions in the Islamabad High Court to stop the hearing of this case. 52 times he also got success in the form of stay.
- Akbar S Babar’s complaint claimed that PTI received a total of 1.64 billion Pakistani rupees in foreign donations. State Bank of Pakistan also accepted this. The amount of 31 crore Pakistani rupees was directly rounded up.
- 16 crores only got from a London based businessman Arif Naqvi. It organized a cricket tournament for PTI in London. If the dinner is hosted, then put a condition of donation of 2 thousand rupees. Financial fraud investigations are going on against Naqvi in the UK and the US.
- Abrar says- Imran Khan took money illegally from a total of 349 foreign companies and 88 foreign people. A large part of this was cash, which reached Pakistan through hawala and then to PTI.
- Abrar says – Imran gave the biggest deception. He collected billions of rupees in the name of Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital named after his mother. This money was used for political party.